• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

That's an awesome map.

I was curious about Utah's beehive. The answer is, of course, because Mormons.

"The beehive is the state symbol of Utah. The early Mormon settlers used the symbol of the honeybee to represent hard work and industriousness. They saw the example of a beehive, in which all of the workers cooperated in the construction of something much bigger than themselves, as a model for a properly run society. In fact, the territorial leaders wanted the state to be called "Deseret", which is a scriptural word for 'honeybee'. This was rejected by Congress, but the symbolism of the honeybee still survives within the state."

Flyover country is spicy.

That's an awesome map.

I was curious about Utah's beehive. The answer is, of course, because Mormons.

"The beehive is the state symbol of Utah. The early Mormon settlers used the symbol of the honeybee to represent hard work and industriousness. They saw the example of a beehive, in which all of the workers cooperated in the construction of something much bigger than themselves, as a model for a properly run society. In fact, the territorial leaders wanted the state to be called "Deseret", which is a scriptural word for 'honeybee'. This was rejected by Congress, but the symbolism of the honeybee still survives within the state."

I wonder if this was an influencing factor in Orson Scott Card's Ender series.

1ewxrajeuf2z.jpg

This is one of my favorite threads because of maps like this.

I've always loved taking note of these shields my whole life. Weird but somehow cool to me.

yeah when I tell people here what I pay for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment ($1400) they look at me like I'm crazy. but we're in a brand new unit in a very nice complex with great views and compared to what I paid in DC for a jr with 1 bath in a basement, it's no comparison.

Thought Ted Cruz was from Texas not California. Huh, learned something new.

I'm sure Mitch McConnell is responsible for more deaths than the 10 that dude from Alabama can claim.

Back