• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

I think it will hinge on whether this Russian lawyer had real connections to the Russian government, as has been alleged. If it's just a private Russian citizen, which seems unlikely, there's no collusion.

One of you lawyers please explain why it is a crime to go and talk to a foreigner about Hillary Clinton. What law would this violate?

Because the lawyer has ties to a foreign government.

I guess you are also OK with Jared setting up a covert communications set-up in an adversary's embassy and seeking out a sanctioned banker who is directly tied to Putin.

You were clearly OK with Trump's financial partners in a$1B project in Azerbaijan being the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

You are clearly OK with the fact that the former Trump Tower in Toronto was financed to the tune of nine figures by Putin's, sanctioned piggy bank VEB.

He should probably stop tweeting. His attorneys need to tell him to shut up.

He shouldn't have talked to the NYT about the first story. He shouldn't have talked to them about the second story. He shouldn't have put out a statement after the second story dropped. He shouldn't be tweeting now.

That's a whole lot of mistakes over one weekend. That's before Mueller's team starts grilling him.

I mean the law questions also should simply be answered does it sound like something illegal, yes, then yeah there is probably a law that was thought of that makes it illegal. Oh you mean you can't meet with a foreign national who wants to give you election material that results from spying or other illegal means of obtainment, who knew.

If one were inclined to read through the 344-page Federal Prosecution of Election Offenses (Seventh Edition, May 2007) on the United States Department of Justice website (.pdf) and possessed the necessary facts, one could possibly put forth a colorable claim against Jr. for at least one violation detailed therein.

The topical answer would probably be the Logan Act, although the Act seems to be more of a threat to those engaged in various political activities rather than a weapon for prosecution. Moreover, as a threshold matter, a presidential election would seem to need to fall within the vague definition of a "measure of the United States."

18 U.S. Code § 953 - Private correspondence with foreign governments

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.[...][/I]
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 744; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(K), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)​

Personally, and this is admittedly well outside my expertise, I would be curious to learn the applicability, if any, of either of the following laws (among others) to the alleged June 2016 meeting with the Russian lawyer.

18 U.S. Code § 957 - Possession of property in aid of foreign government (text)
Whoever, in aid of any foreign government, knowingly and willfully possesses or controls any property or papers used or designed or intended for use in violating any penal statute, or any of the rights or obligations of the United States under any treaty or the law of nations, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

52 U.S. Code § 30121(a) - [Prohibition Against] Contributions and donations by foreign nationals (text)
(a) Prohibition
It shall be unlawful for—
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—
(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

One of you lawyers please explain why it is a crime to go and talk to a foreigner about Hillary Clinton. What law would this violate?

One of you lawyers please explain why it is a crime to go and talk to someone whose name he didn't know about something unspecific that might help his campaign. What law would this violate?

FIFY, in case the circle jerk wants to take a quick trip down the Peterman reality bus tour.

honestly, is there any information that would detach any of you trumpshills from the teats of Donald?

I mean what is the fake news aspect of this? Is it the meeting actually taking place or the context of how said meeting falls into the laws of this country. The first part is obviously true it was confirmed by the moron that took place in it.

He shouldn't have talked to the NYT about the first story. He shouldn't have talked to them about the second story. He shouldn't have put out a statement after the second story dropped. He shouldn't be tweeting now.

That's a whole lot of mistakes over one weekend. That's before Mueller's team starts grilling him.

Presidential pardon papers being drafted. Nothing to worry about.

FIFY, in case the circle jerk wants to take a quick trip down the Peterman reality bus tour.

Wrong bus.

prison-bus.jpg

I mean what is the fake news aspect of this? Is it the meeting actually taking place or the context of how said meeting falls into the laws of this country. The first part is obviously true it was confirmed by the moron that took place in it.

Its in the context of how it matters at all other than a Russian was spotted near a republican, which somehow now is "news"

honestly, is there any information that would detach any of you trumpshills from the teats of Donald?

For not-the-first-time, not subscribing to the coping mechanism counter-narrative is not the same thing as endorsing its target.

My kingdom for some of this #nuance...

For not-the-first-time, not subscribing to the coping mechanism counter-narrative is not the same thing as endorsing its target.

My kingdom for some of this #nuance...

would be interesting if this applied to you in any meaningful way

seems odd all the 3 big wigs of the campaign would be taking nothing cold calls to connect with Russia, thought Manafort already had them on the Bat phone.

Back